Applying for Jobs + Grants
Writing Cover Letters
- Higher education :: community college considerations
- Action verb list
- Guidelines + samples
- The cold call letter
Resumes, CVs, Teaching Philosophy, + Business Cards
- Resume guidelines and examples
- Designer resumes: improving your layout draft by draft
- Action verb list
- Performance resumes
- Visual artist - pp. 5 + 7 of The Pro Package
- Transferrable Resume Skills for: Artists :: Dancers :: Musicians
- CVs: guidelines :: dance CV or music CV :: interview questions for higher education
- Writing a teaching statement
- Business Cards: U of I :: vistaprint ::overnight prints :: diecut: moo :: uprinting letterpress: zazzle
Networking + Interviewing
- General interview questions :: use glassdoor.com to find questions for your company.
- How to answer 23 most common questions
- Forbes 50 most common Q+As
- Presenting your portfolio: Top 10 student mistakes
- Interview questions for higher education
- Lynda.com provides Illinois students with online videos to help practice negotiating skills (under business skills), but if you need a quick read, check out these sites:
- Negotiating Salaries
- Salary Negotiation Mistakes to Avoid
- How to Evaluate an Offer
- 2013-14 AAUP Faculty Salary Survey
- Salary.com's Negotiation Clinic
- Sample budget image and spreadsheet
Make sure to ask people if they'll be a good reference for you. Some time might pass between job applications so let them know each time you're calling upon them to help you, and let them know something about the details of the position. It's easier for a reference to help you when they know what each employer is looking for. If you get married and change your name, tell your references!
Online Portfolio Resources
You should have an online portfolio. Use one of these templates to get started
- squarespace.com — great templates, no web knowledge necessary, and $50 the first year for illinois.edu subscribers.
- weebly — free
- cargocollective — free but requires application
- issuu — free: turn your pdf file into an interactive page turner
- behance — $99/year
- You can also try carbonmade, portfoliobox, and viewbook.
- Once you have a portfolio, send the link to FAA Career Services for inclusion on our website.
- Business plan template for entrepreneurs, from the US Small Business Administration
- Ilinois' Technology Enterepreneur Center
Join in interdisciplinary competitions while learning from entrepreneurs and faculty
Grant Writing & Self-Promotion
- Grant Writing
- Writing a Bio
- Marketing Yourself and Your Work Online
- Asking for References
Maybe you'd like someone to donate space for your class or performance. Maybe someone has aked "why should I hire you?" Either way, you should know how to pitch an idea in 30 seconds or less to someone outside your industry. Read this article on the art of the elevator pitch.
Graduate students who need to maintain a dossier including letters of reference may be interested in the new service provided by Vitae. It is free, but log-in is required.
Illinois provides FREE online tutorials to students using Lynda.com (scroll down to find Lynda).